Quarantined in Ottawa

A week has passed since I last wrote. Honestly, I have not been motivated to do so since my return, even though I have felt like I should: there is so much that I think readers would appreciate, stories to tell and pictures to share. I think I needed a week to readjust, and to take care of some personal issues.

On the day I returned I had to pass a mandatory covid test at the Toronto airport: although I read up on what to expect, nowhere had I read about a test... but it's a good idea I think. The tester was VERY thorough with the nostril portion of the test: and unlike my first test in Ottawa, for this one I was stabbed through both nostrils, with a good 10-15 second (each) twirling of the swab. Uncomfortable, but not painful. I guess I got used to it! (I received my result a few days ago: NEGATIVE again! Woohoo!)

I am quarantined, alone, at my friend's condo which is mere blocks from my own house, with a beautiful view of the nearby Ottawa river. This is the most difficult part of my trip: to be this close to my family and not see them seemed cruel when I first got here, but I have adjusted somewhat: and it's halfway done.

At least the view from my friend's condo is stunning!

Lone skier or snowshoer plowing through
the frozen Ottawa river: I'm very jealous...
note the water vapour rising at the beautiful
Deschênes rapids in the background, it was a
cold morning (-17°, -24° with windchill if I recall)

Sunrise (my house can actually be seen in this picture...)

Sunset


Life goes on: I have all the necessities I need for another week (thanks Hoori!) Since I have returned, I did a whole mess of laundry, organized my papers and life somewhat, went through notes I kept throughout my trip, spoke to a lot of friends and family (having discussed so much in those conversations, I can't quite distinguish what I have spoken about and written about yet...) I have been luckier with jetlag and sleeplessness after returning, which was hardly an issue at all. I also wrote a long test on Monday, as a precursor for a possible job interview in the Senate: fingers crossed! I have mostly relaxed, watched a lot of movies, answered my daily covid-19 screening questionnaires, and am anxious for the 14th day of my quarantine to arrive next week, when I will be free to move about again.

I haven't reflected much on my trip these first few days, so I just re-read my blog posts from beginning to end to get myself up to speed. Here are some observations and comments:

  • There are a few things I feel I have neglected to write about, but plan to do so in the near future: apologies. Expect a rapid fire series of quickie posts in the coming days
  • I am hoping that readers appreciated my take on the country. But I will repeat this disclaimer: these are my opinions based on a personal reading of the situation at the time I saw them; and although influenced by many to make such observations, they are mine alone, and I take full responsibility for any shortcomings or errors in fact
  • Most of the $20,000 raised was left in Yeghegnadzor, but some (maybe $1,800) still remains to be sent there, which will be done in the coming days and weeks by the Atken Armenian Foundation (AAF). Although I am no longer on the ground, I highly encourage donors to consider giving through the AAF again, or for the first time, as they have boots on the ground and an over decades-long working relationship with trustworthy people there. Apart from the emergency aid provided over the last few months, the AAF supports ongoing development and education projects which help people on a day to day basis. Please click here for donation details
  • Other than my one day accounting of where donations ended up, and receiving updates from Syunik NGO about where the rest of the fund has gone or will be going soon, I have not been as diligent as I could be in following up on the rest of the donations, but I will do so soon. I am in direct contact with Community and Youth Projects’ Manager Nara Harutyunyan about this on a day-to-day basis, whom I completely trust on giving me a full disclosure about this issue. I will remind readers, as I have written many times, that the fund I left there is not their only preoccupation, and that they are kind enough to collaborate with me on this over and above their other important work
It's good to be back in Canada, but I miss the great connections I made in Armenia. I trust they will be long-lasting, and very much hope they will prove to be fruitful in the future.

Comments

  1. Glad to hear(although I am not surprised)that your test results were negative,considering your panic mode when traveling on air - covid, living in Armenia for a month with our version on how to wear a mask etc.or distance ourselves or take precautions versus the WHO way, did not in fact give you this "highly contagious" virus!!You yourself stopped wearing your mask properly while you were here!!Its's your Armenian genes bro(survival of the meekest)that saved you along with your good physical shape :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We're all the same 6 feet under...

Goodbye for now, Հայաստան

Soldiers' families: difficult day...