Today is Saturday, a me day: but first, a brief summary...

I did not post anything yesterday: as I have mentioned, I have been tired, and truth be told, have felt a bit lonely too. Covid makes me want to visit people less, I am careful not to accept invitations to people's homes, and as a result I feel disconnected somewhat from so many Armenians who are very warm, friendly, and touchy-feely. As normally am I! This morning however I spoke for a long time to my wife Hoori and my three kids Gaia, Nairi and Adom, as well as my friend Shant and his wife Nora, all of which helped me feel less alone. It is amazing to be able to speak to Canada on the phone or via video chat so easily: from what I understand, pretty much all of Armenia is very accessible via cell service, and my internet connection has been fantastic (thanks Sheila and Antoine!) Also, I actually got a full night's sleep yesterday, more or less, and have been taking it easy most of the day today, which no doubt helps. And soon, I will be taken on a little mountain hiking excursion, kindly organized for me today by Anna, one of the Syunik staffers: I am very much looking forward to it!

Yesterday I visited Camp Siranuysh, a summer camp for kids where Syunik NGO hosts 60 kids from all over Armenia and some from Georgia as part of its aid for youth program. The main financier for the youth program there is HEKS, a Swiss organization and one of Syunik's main partners. The camp was converted to house 130 refugees from Artsakh a few months ago. However, it was all but empty when I visited yesterday, only three families remain, from what I understand the rest have already repatriated to other parts of Artsakh, or elsewhere in Armenia. The two women and four kids I met were also slated to return to Artsakh, to a village near Stepanakert. Both of their husbands were deployed to the front. I also saw that there is currently a plan underway and construction being done to build a system of classrooms for a SMART START preschool program, an initiative that aims to nurture kids with intellectual and other proficiencies, with the aim of producing the next generation of brilliant students.

The person who took me there, and who oversees both programs, was the province of Vayots Dzor's Bishop (Srpazan) Apraham Mkrtchyan. He is an interesting guy: a gregarious forward-thinking person, with a PhD in History, who also seems to have a hand in every single large-scale project undertaken in the province. Before embarking on our journey, I attended a meeting at Syunik NGO where experts in the field of education from Yerevan were attempting to convince the Bishop of the importance of establishing technical college or vocational schools in the province called Իրական դպրոց ("Real" school). It was a bit difficult to follow the presentation with my limited knowledge of technical terms in Armenian (let alone in Eastern Armenian!), but I followed along as much as my tired brain allowed me to. I was a bit surprised that two of the members of the team of five who presented did not wear masks at all, and nobody told them to do so either. We were seated at a table inside with absolutely no social distancing or windows open, and food and drinks were served at the table, which meant that many around the table also took their masks off to eat or drink. I was cautious, seated furthest from them, with my "fix the mask" getup on. I think it's possible that many in Armenia have already been exposed to Covid, or so it's the impression I had after speaking to the Syunik staffers, most of whom have had it already. Perhaps many feel like they are immune as a result. But since I haven't had it yet, I think my prudence is justified. Or maybe I am becoming careless... since arriving though, I will say that masks seem purely ornamental, worn for show more than for protection. I don't think people realize that unless everyone wears a mask, the effectiveness to prevent Covid is pretty much meaningless.

The Syunik staff seem to be a tightly knit group who work hard. It is nice to see their interaction with one another. Considering how many youth from Armenia seek their fortunes elsewhere: Russia, Germany, the US, or even seemingly faraway Yerevan, it is nice to see so many 20 and 30 somethings feel pride in staying in their home province instead, working for their communities. The same goes for the Bishop, who has apparently fielded a multitude of job offers internationally, opting instead to stay close to home. They have all chosen to stay in the homeland, in our Hayrenik, to serve their fellow Armenians, no matter the difficulties encountered. I am humbled by their choice, and although have hardly been here 5 days and barely know them, I still feel a sense of pride towards them. I feel like I am in the real Armenia, the heartland as it were.

I will post pictures relating to this post later, I need to get ready for my excursion, but did want to write something before I left. À plus tard!

Comments

  1. " ...I feel like I am in the real Armenia...", very well said Aram. Kudos to you too, for choosing to experience "our real Armenia" rather than the "café-latte" in Yerevan, like most diasporans do.... Too bad for the necessity to isolate and miss this warm contact with the locals... If you want to experience something unique, just buy a bottle of quality oghi or Konyak and walk-in a house where you see a coffin on the outside (funeral). Wear your mask tightly, the women will be gathered around the defunct, you can stay outside where you can hear them wail and praise the defunct's deeds. Around 11 am they will carry the coffin to the cemetary for burial. The men will burn incense and drink oghi at the grave and make a few speeches about the defunct. Then you can return to the home with them, and they will serve every one a meal during which people will get up and propose a toast relating some anecdote about the defunct, this is when you understand what these people went through...but remember to have your hand wrapped around your glass when you toast others; at a funeral, one does not let a glass touch another glass and make the chin-chin sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antoine
      I did not know that custom of soundless Genasz

      Aram
      Syunik NGO sounds Pretty impressive


      Raffi Adjemian

      Delete
  2. Incidentally, your hiking guide, Anna Hovhannisyan, has a brother who teaches folk dancing. In my opinion, he's the best. Davit Hovhanisyan (Anna’s brother) 24385; 098-894099 or 093-850390. Wear your mask!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aram Jan, we thank you for being our eyes and ears in the region of Yeghegnatsor. And your blogs are so relatable! Enjoy your hike and breathe in the air, don’t worry too much about Covid, our crisp mountain air will keep you safe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We're all the same 6 feet under...

Soldiers' families: difficult day...

Goodbye for now, Հայաստան