Brief post on a Saturday late evening

 It is Saturday night here. I am tired again, but I wanted to add a brief post.

Yesterday I visited other soldiers' families, so, 18 in all in 2 days (and another emotional day). I then had a lovely supper with Syunik staffer Anna and her husband Tilo, who had driven me around a week prior, as well as Anna's brother Davit and his wife (whose name escapes me at the moment). Davit is an Armenian folk dancer. As I understand it, Covid-19 shut down the place where he teaches in Yeghegnadzor. Which is not the case in other provinces, apparently. He told me they might reopen in early February. I will write a lot more about all of this when I have some free time, and I have pictures to post as well.

As it's the weekend and the NGO is closed, today I enjoyed the sights somewhat, making it to Lake Sevan and all the way to Hayravank, a 9th-12th century monastery, over a mountain pass that was pretty icy but passable. At one point in the mountain heights, just past a very interesting Caravanserai I visited, it was -40 degrees (I did not get out of the car...)! My driver Gagik then invited me to their place in the afternoon to share a meal and to meet his wife Shoushan and his two sons Artur and Armen (Armen just returned from 2 years' military service, I can't imagine what he lived through with the war...) In the evening I met briefly with an unexpected visitor, Anahit Armenakyan, who used to live in Ottawa but was in town because her father passed away. She was at her brother's place, he is also in the military. It was interesting, as always, to exchange with people who live here and get their points of view on everything: which makes me realize just how little I know about Armenia, really.

Update (added Jan 24): I just realized I never mentioned this, but there was an earthquake yesterday, we felt it at Gagik's house. It reminded me briefly of the devastating 1988 quake, which we had just earlier mentioned in conversation. (It wasn't bad at all: some shaking, some swaying. Though I'll admit I considered what I would do if it was a bad one: duck under the table, stand in a doorway, run outside?)

Tomorrow morning staffers from Syunik NGO will take me along for the ride as they provide food for Artsakh refugees in the province: I am not sure where, I assume near Yeghegnadzor. In the afternoon they will take me to the previously mentioned 13th century monastery Noravank, and in the evening I am invited to yet another staffer's home to "eat (break) bread". My plate is pretty full, so to speak.

Monday I believe will be my last day working at Syunik NGO, I very much hope to wrap things up by then if at all possible (otherwise I will stay longer). If so, I should be going to Yerevan on Tuesday with a former classmate and dance troop member Raffi Niziblian and his wife Lara Aharonian, who will come to pay me a visit here. They moved to Yerevan from Montreal decades ago, I am sure I will learn a lot from speaking to them, and I look forward to their guidance.

Then starts the second half of my journey, which I will in all likelihood spend in the capital Yerevan (although it is possible I will return here, or maybe go elsewhere? We'll see which way the wind blows...) As mentioned I plan to meet with several people there to ask how I can help while here, and also to consider how it may be possible to offer support once back in Canada. I have not organized anything for that leg of my tour yet and I'm not quite sure what awaits me. Fingers crossed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're all the same 6 feet under...

Goodbye for now, Հայաստան

Soldiers' families: difficult day...